Did you know that proper brushing takes at least two minutes? Most adults do not come close to brushing that long. Even though we have been flossing and brushing our teeth for many years now, many people are surprised to learn that we are not doing it properly.
Proper Brushing Technique:
- Place the toothbrush at a 45°angle along the gum line. Move the toothbrush in a back and forth motion, and repeat for each tooth.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth, using the same back and forth technique.
- Brush the chewing surface (top) of each tooth.
- Use tip of brush to brush behind each tooth — front and back, top and bottom and up and down strokes.
- Be sure to brush your tongue to remove odor-causing bacteria
Proper Flossing Technique:
- Pull 18 to 24 inches of dental floss from the floss dispenser.
- Wrap the ends of the floss around your index and middle fingers.
- Hold the floss tightly around each tooth in a C shape; move the floss back and forth in a push-pull motion and up and down against the side of each tooth.